Senior Operations Engineer (DevOps)
Riffyn: on a mission to reshape science
Today’s scientific breakthroughs often go unnoticed because they are buried in uninterpretable spreadsheets and inaccessible data. Riffyn’s mission is to make science work better, solving previously intractable data fragmentation and data sharing problems in R&D organizations.
Riffyn supports global biopharmaceuticals, biotechnology and food technology firms with its patented data system, Riffyn Nexus, and scientific consulting team. Riffyn Nexus is a SaaS solution that breaks-down data silos to provide deeply integrated datasets for machine learning and faster product development.
This position is open to applicants in Oakland, CA and Denver, CO (Riffyn offices in both locations), as well as remote applicants based and authorized to work in the United States.
As a Senior Operations Engineer, you will:
- Implement systems that are highly available, scalable, and self-healing.
- Identify, implement, and automate security controls, governance processes, and compliance validation.
- Assess, manage, and deliver improvements to our CI/CD pipeline to enable faster, more efficient developer workflows.
- Define and deploy monitoring, metrics, and logging systems.
- Design, manage, and maintain tools to automate operational processes.
- Adhere to and support Riffyn’s Information Security Management System (ISMS) policies and procedures including participation in the Operations Team’s 24x7 on-call rotation.
- 10+ years of experience working on a DevOps, Build, Infrastructure, or Platform Engineering team with a focus on cloud technologies
- Proficient in Linux, Shell and Bash scripting
- Proficient with Git (branching, merging, resolving merge conflicts, diffing between branches/revisions, etc.)
- Container orchestration using Kubernetes strongly preferred
- Cloud infrastructure monitoring systems including Prometheus, Alertmanager, and Grafana
- Experience with ElasticSearch and MongoDB are a plus
- Bachelors or Masters in CS, or equivalent experience
- Proficient in Linux, Shell and Python
- Outstanding & proactive oral and written communication skills - with colleagues, mentees, and customers
- Hands-on attitude, while also maintaining a strategic view of gaps and execution plans
Desired additional experience:
- Experience with build automation, security and performance monitoring tools
- Kubernetes Administration (bonus points for CKA certification!)
- Helm chart authoring and/or significant customization
- AWS services including EC2, S3, CloudWatch, IAM
- AWS VPC management with Terraform
- Jenkins administration and/or pipeline development
- Nginx, Docker, ElasticSearch/ELK Stack, MongoDB, and RabbitMQ
Founded in 2014 by veterans from life sciences and high-performing computing industries, Riffyn is building and delivering the digital backbone to help scientists get better products to market faster. Riffyn is a venture-backed company headquartered in Oakland, California with an additional offices in Denver, Philadelphia and London.
Apply for this jobApply now
Midnight Wilkinson is a business administration professional with over a decade of experience in both Human Resources and executive office administration. Midnight has worked in many different industries, including construction and manufacturing but has focused on technology startups for over 5 years and is continually excited by the energy in this sector. A strong believer in the power of positive thinking in the workplace, Midnight is committed to building a culture of growth, integrity, and balance. She grew up in San Francisco (via South America) and is now a resident of the East Bay and enjoys communing with nature as well as the joys of urban living equally.