Principal Back-End Engineer
Riffyn: on a mission to reshape science
Today’s scientific breakthroughs often go unnoticed because they are buried in uninterpretable spreadsheets and inaccessible data. Riffyn’s mission is to make science work better, solving previously intractable data fragmentation and data sharing problems in R&D organizations.
Riffyn supports global biopharmaceuticals, biotechnology and food technology firms with its patented data system, Riffyn Nexus, and scientific consulting team. Riffyn Nexus is a SaaS solution that breaks-down data silos to provide deeply integrated datasets for machine learning and faster product development.
Riffyn is looking for an experienced engineering leader to manage, motivate, and grow a team of engineers that will continue to evolve our industry-leading platform to a seamless and intuitive user experience on a robust cloud-native platform.
Our cloud-native architecture is composed of services and microservices that can be developed, scaled, and tested independently, employing design best practices. This enables us to deliver to our users quickly and at scale.
This role offers interesting data problems (scientists measure a lot), room to experiment, the opportunity to influence Riffyn's best engineering practices, and genuinely cool people to work with on a day-to-day basis.
- Research, design, implement and maintain server application code and services.
- Write clean, modular, reliable, testable and efficient code.
- Work with data structures and schemas, algorithms, data processing, distributed systems and services.
- Work well with a team of dedicated professionals. Be a positive influence on your peers by modeling good work practices, sharing knowledge, and identifying problems early.
- Keep our platform evolving. Our code base has gotten us to where we are; we have learned a lot on the way, and we're refactoring and rewriting to do it again better.
- Adhere to and support Riffyn’s Information Security Management System (ISMS) policies and procedures.
- 3+ years leading a team in a fast-paced, agile software development environment.
- Know how to break a complex problem into simpler parts and be able to explain how you do it.
- Know or want to learn about how science actually happens. If you want to know how the software is actually used, our scientific consultants will be able to answer.
- Experience working with NoSQL databases like MongoDB, Redis and Elasticsearch and SQL databases like Postgres.
Founded in 2014 by veterans from life sciences and high-performing computing industries, Riffyn is building and delivering the digital backbone to help scientists get better products to market faster. Riffyn is a venture-backed company headquartered in Oakland, California with an additional offices in Denver, Philadelphia and London.
Apply for this jobApply now
Midnight Wilkinson is a business administration professional with over a decade of experience in both Human Resources and executive office administration. Midnight has worked in many different industries, including construction and manufacturing but has focused on technology startups for over 5 years and is continually excited by the energy in this sector. A strong believer in the power of positive thinking in the workplace, Midnight is committed to building a culture of growth, integrity, and balance. She grew up in San Francisco (via South America) and is now a resident of the East Bay and enjoys communing with nature as well as the joys of urban living equally.