Scientist/Senior Scientist - UK/EU
this position is open to applicants based in the UK or EU only.
Mission to reshape science
At Riffyn, we think beyond the conventional. We dream big. Our mission is to help accelerate science that improves all of our lives and our planet’s quality and sustainability.
Riffyn believes there is a better way to approach science. And that is to empower scientists to make better decisions and faster discoveries by unlocking the power of data. Our technology and people change lives by driving advancements in life sciences, medicines, sustainability, and more. If that inspires you, join us.
Life at Riffyn
Life at Riffyn is about working with teammates who are deeply passionate about what we do because we know that our work has the power to change lives. We approach our work with trust and honesty. And, we’ve built a diverse team and culture fuelled by collaboration and openness.
Our employees developed our five core values, and these extend beyond the work we do and into how we support each other. We are continually evolving to ensure that every employee feels appreciated and encouraged to do what matters for themselves, the company, and each other.
Riffyn’s core values
- Get there honestly – have the courage to take the right path
- Do what matters – own the why of the work we do
- Make it fun – humor separates us from the machines
- Work well together – trust builds the strongest teams
- Keep evolving – challenge the status quo
Our Science team is focused on delivering holistic solutions from data input through to detailed analysis, and this requires our members to be scientists who have lived the day-to-day of lab-based work or the direct support thereof. We are looking for a Scientist/Senior Scientist to help support our customers’ realization of these solutions.
Who you are
You are a scientist with experience and deep familiarity in biotech, pharma, materials, chemistry, or a related discipline who is passionate about using data to make decisions. Success as a scientist at Riffyn is typified by these attributes:
- You are data-driven and solutions-oriented. You want to solve problems with people, and you’re willing to roll up your sleeves and do the work to achieve the desired results
- You are a lifelong learner and a teacher. You love learning and explaining complex concepts and watching the lightbulb go off for yourself and/or your students
- Flexibility, agility, and excellent time management skills are second nature to you
- Excellent communication skills - you give great talks + demos and compose excellent documents and emails
- You have experience with coding - emphasis is placed on experience in Python, R, JMP scripting language, though we’ll entertain people with other experience as well. You don’t need to be an expert or even advanced - just be willing to learn on the job
As a Scientist/Senior Scientist, you will develop a close relationship with Riffyn customers, serving as an advisor and guide to help them
- use Riffyn’s software for the first time,
- translate their R&D workflows and data systems to Riffyn, and
- learn how to achieve unprecedented scientific insight using Riffyn’s technology
- Help them to develop a data analysis pipeline that may include automated visualization or dashboarding capabilities
In this role, you will tap your skills and experiences in general science, experimental design, process improvement, assay systems, measurement systems, data analysis, and/or statistics to transition our customers from an environment of fragmented data---with data spread across notebooks, spreadsheets and databases---to one where data is instantly integrated, accessible and ready for scientific discovery.
- Work with customers to translate scientific workflows into Riffyn process designs
- Help customers design experiments to address their R&D questions
- Help customers pipe their data from various sources into Riffyn experiments
- Develop analytical applications, visualizations, and/or scripts using coding languages or software such as Python, R, JMP, Spotfire, Tableau
- Train customers on the Riffyn application and enhanced scientific discovery methodologies
- Channel your professional experience and customer feedback into feature requests for product development
- Generate and maintain help documentation and videos, and write blog articles and journal publications
- 2-5 years’ industrial experience with a degree in chemical engineering, microbial biology, fermentation, analytical chemistry or related field
- Proficiency using Excel, python or scripting languages for data capture, analysis and reporting
- Experienced using JMP, R, Spotfire, Tableau or other software for multivariate data exploration or analysis
- Experience with at least one of the following is highly valuable: electronic lab notebooks (ELN), laboratory information management systems (LIMS), chromatography data systems, historians, or other assay data capture, process design, scientific workflow management platforms
- Demonstrated capability to identify and solve scientific problems using a statistically driven, data-first approach
- Experience in Design of Experiments (DoE), Partition of Variance and other statistical methodologies highly sought
- Outstanding & proactive oral and written communication skills
- Problem-solving/analytical mindset
- Willing to travel up to 30%
If you thrive in a fast-paced, down-to-earth, collaborative, and mission-driven environment, Riffyn is the place for you. Join the journey of a lifetime and be at the forefront of the next revolution of scientific discovery.
Apply with your CV, cover letter, and any portfolio of materials that illustrate your skills (presentations, websites, data analysis, etc.).
Apply for this jobApply now
Midnight Wilkinson is a business administration professional with over a decade of experience in both Human Resources and executive office administration. Midnight has worked in many different industries, including construction and manufacturing but has focused on technology startups for over 5 years and is continually excited by the energy in this sector. A strong believer in the power of positive thinking in the workplace, Midnight is committed to building a culture of growth, integrity, and balance. She grew up in San Francisco (via South America) and is now a resident of the East Bay and enjoys communing with nature as well as the joys of urban living equally.