Data Science Intern
Mission to reshape science
At Riffyn, we think beyond the conventional. We dream big. Our mission is to help accelerate the science that improves all of our lives and our planet’s quality and sustainability.
Riffyn believes there is a better way to approach research and development. And that is to empower scientists to make better decisions and faster discoveries by unlocking the power of data. Our technology and people change lives by driving advancements in biological research, medicines, sustainability, and more. If that inspires you, join us.
Life at Riffyn
Life at Riffyn is about working with teammates who are deeply passionate about what we do because we know that our work has the power to change lives. We approach our work with trust and honesty. And we’ve built a diverse team and culture fuelled by collaboration and openness.
Our employees developed our five core values — our ethos, and these extend beyond the work we do and into how we support each other. We are continually evolving to ensure that every employee feels appreciated and encouraged to do what matters for themselves, the company, and each other.
Riffyn’s core values
- Get there honestly – have the courage to take the right path
- Do what matters – own the why of the work we do
- Make it fun – humor separates us from the machines
- Work well together – trust builds the strongest teams
- Keep evolving – challenge the status quo
You will work directly with Riffyn’s Scientific Solutions and engineering teams to re-engineer core data processing algorithms into a high-quality Python-based software development kit. The kit will be made available to Riffyn customers as a free and open-source extension of the Riffyn Nexus platform.
This project is expected to require 3 months at a full-time commitment. The position is remote.
You will learn and apply fundamental data science skills including vectorized data processing, data-frame manipulation, parallelized processing, and memory management. In addition, you will have the opportunity to learn the Riffyn Nexus software application and its use in a range of scientific experimental cases.
If mutually desirable, the position can be extended to a full-time role continuing to build out functionality in the Python-based software development kit, as well as supporting Riffyn customers in their implementation of Nexus, as well as ecosystem components, such as integrations and customer-specific reporting capabilities. More details about the longer-term role can be found here (note: work is similar, the role is in the USA).
Experience and education
- Candidate for BS, MS, or Ph.D. in engineering, mathematics, economics, or other quantitative fields
- 1+ years of Python development experience and a solid understanding of core computer science and data science and methods principles
- Familiarity with statistical/machine learning methods and statistical software like R, JMP, or scikit-learn is a plus
- Exposure or practice in good software engineering practices is a plus
Accomplishments and knowledge
- Demonstrated excellence in academics
- Examples of prior work including software projects and writing, web pages copy, or technical documentation
- Participation in group projects, extracurricular organizations, or prior research experience is a plus
- Self-starter, able to distill and execute actionable work plans
- Voracious learner, systematic problem solver
- Organized, detail-oriented, driven, and accountable
- Unyielding personal and professional ethics and integrity
If you thrive in a fast-paced, down-to-earth, collaborative, and mission-driven environment, Riffyn is the place for you. Join the journey of a lifetime and be at the forefront of the next revolution of scientific discovery. Apply with your CV, cover letter, and any portfolio of materials that illustrate your skills (presentations, websites, data analysis, etc.).
Apply for this jobApply now
Midnight Wilkinson is a business administration professional with over a decade of experience in both Human Resources and executive office administration. Midnight has worked in many different industries, including construction and manufacturing but has focused on technology startups for over 5 years and is continually excited by the energy in this sector. A strong believer in the power of positive thinking in the workplace, Midnight is committed to building a culture of growth, integrity, and balance. She grew up in San Francisco (via South America) and is now a resident of the East Bay and enjoys communing with nature as well as the joys of urban living equally.